Monday, February 6, 2012

Feb 6

This is my dad and his two cousins Christine (my godmother) and Kathleen. I refer to the two of them as my aunts because they might as well be his sisters. My dad grew up without any siblings but from what I understand he had the farthest thing from an only-child childhood. He and his two cousins Greg (the older brother of these two) and Bernie grew up attached at the hip and even went to college together at DePauw University. Its very easy to see why he is such a family man. My dad has a bigger heart than anyone I know and is truly the one person that I know that would put absolutely anyone before himself. Although its this quality of his does tend to frustrate me on occasion, its what I admire most about him and what I aspire to be every day. Its funny looking back on my child and teen years when giving up one precious night with friends to watch a movie with the family or having to refuse a spring break trip Florida to go to Hawaii with the Geiger 6 seemed like such a sacrifice, those times with my family are my fondest memories. Its funny in high school how hard it is to picture your life any farther down the road than it was at that given moment and not realize how much time you actually have to do all of those things with friends, and how little time you have to do things with your entire family. I love the way that I was raised and how heavily my dad has always pushed the importance of family on my brother and sisters and I. Its a role that I hope to take on as a parent some day. The most important thing that my dad has taught me is that family is love and to embrace it as much as you can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment